Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My Dad

My Dad called me this afternoon and said that his doctor came in and told him that he has prostate cancer. He mentioned also the probability of colon cancer but my stepmother said that she believes he's confused about that part.

When he called me, which is the first time that I've actually got to talk to him since he's been sick, he started crying. Then of course I started crying. I have never, ever seen my father cry and it just broke my heart. I know that prostate cancer is fairly easy to treat, and the survival rate is something like 90% I believe, but to know that he is worried and w/the possibility of colon cancer, I'm just completely lost over all of this.

My parents were divorced when I was 11. My mother was not able to care for my brother and I (my half-sister lived with her mother) so my Dad had custody of us. I am extremely close to him and don't know what I'd do if something happened to him.

I went to the hospital tonight to see him. He had not wanted company because he's in such pain, but I couldn't stay away. He was happy that I came. It was so hard to see him though because he was actually writhing in pain. He was just kind of moaning and moving and I couldn't hardly stand it. I didn't stay very long but I just needed to see him.

Please keep him in your prayers. I know I've said that already but I know that it will help. I don't even want to think about losing another person to cancer. Especially my father. :(...

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

(((hugs))). I hate to hear this Rachel. If you need to talk or anything, you can email me anytime or IM over the weekend. I'll change my status to show when I'm online.

Anonymous said...

Rach, I am so sorry about this. You and your family are in my prayers. You know we are all here for you if you need us.

Val Ewing said...

Rachel!!!! You know I am thinking of you and your dad.