Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tubing Baby, Yeah!

That's my honey bunches getting things ready to make himself a cup of coffee while I made some sausage and eggs (and took pictures). Last night was perfect. We had no rain at all and I'm SO happy we came.

Here is a picture of the tent after we got it set up last night. You can see we were ready for rain:

And here are our cots. Marshall found it really hard to get up and moving after sleeping nearly on the ground from our air mattress, so the cot make it easier on his knees. They're actually quite comfortable, too:

This morning we got up early (thanks to me) and toured the old, abandoned logging town of Elkmont. It's a beautiful place with lots of old houses that are just empty--and kind of spooky. Here are Cain and Darren (who got here around 10 last night) breaking the law for my benefit:

Today we went tubing down the river in Townsend, Tennessee, which is over near the Cades Cove part of the Smoky Mtns. The trip was absolutely fantastic. There were a few small (and I do mean small) rapids and I didn't fall off my tube once. Too bad the same can't be said for Marshall. :D The trip took a little over three hours and I'm still kicking my butt for not taking a waterproof, disposable camera. The scenery was just fantastic.

Here's us about 15 minutes after getting out of the water and getting ready to eat lunch:

Please pardon our river-hair. :)

After we finished our lunch (which took place at 3:30ish) we thought it would be a good idea to go to Cades Cove. We were wrong. Apparently everyone in Tennessee had the same idea and we were in bumper to bumper traffic. By time we got out of there we were exhausted and ready to get back to our campsite.

The boys cleaned up and headed to Gatlinburg to do a few of the touristy things, and Marshall and I played cards and just relaxed. Several people came to our campsite to let us know that we had missed three bears: a mama and two cubs, who walked right through our campsite. We were totally bummed about not being here to see that.

Today was a perfect day. The tubing trip was SO much fun and I can't wait to do it again. The weather was perfect, too. Everything was just great.

What a nice life I have. Thank you, God. :)

No comments: