Sunday, June 02, 2013

Sad


I just saw one of the saddest things I've ever seen & of course I'm going to share but DON'T CONTINUE TO READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

I was driving down the mountain and came around a curve and there was a male Scarlet Tanager (like the one in the horribly blurry pic above) just sitting in the middle of my lane. I straddled him and then hauled butt to the turn-around so I could get him out of the road. I flashed my lights at three other cars that also (thank God) straddled him. He never moved so I thought he had been hit. He just let those cars go right over him.

I jumped out to move him and it was only then that I realized that the dark spot beside him in the road wasn't a spot - it was a female tanager. She had been hit by a car and killed. He didn't fly because he was injured ~ he didn't fly because she was there. He only flew when I touched his back. ..... 

It ripped my heart out. I cried the rest of the way to Cain's and then some. He didn't leave her side. How absolutely pitiful!

Aren't you glad I shared that with you?

No comments: